Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 8

Today is the last day in LA before the entire group flies off back to Singapore tomorrow. Breakfast was rather cold - waffle, croissant, choco chip muffin and porridge. I just realised that you need to microwave the cold food to eat. Anyway, just as I was leaving the breakfast room, the staff just brought in the milk, so I took one and left it in the fridge.

Our first stop today was National Broadcasting Company. Notice that their logo is a peacock with 6 coloured feathers (the divisions of the company) and it is facing to the right (looking forward to the future). Basically, in NBC, there's no photography, so I'm gonna have to rely on words to describe my experience at NBC. So, we first watched this video about NBC, and that it and Universal Studios were one entity. "So we own Universal and Universal owns us". And then we had a tour of the various sets such as the Jay Leno show. We saw how some of the effects were created like that of in Heroes. There were wigs, masks and props lying around. The personnel there were all very familiar and friendly with one another, and was wishing our guide happy birthday. There was also this poster showing how they created the set for the Ellen Degeneres show, really interesting. And as with every studio, they showed us how they did their filming, with the help of CGI.

We then left for Farmers Market for lunch. The food there is excellent. I got myself a lasagna for $7.95 inclusive of tax. It wasn't too bad actually. In fact, I wished we had more time around there so can eat more food :D And there was also the fresh fruits stall where I got myself strawberries for $1.49. And also pistachio nuts for my grandfather for $5. And then before lunch, me and Clement walked about and went to a bookstore barnes and hobbes i think, and i got myself 2 fiction books and gift cards. $15.66 and 15 minutes spent there.
After lunch, we were to get to Fox Interactive Media. However, due to our good habit of being early, we were there 25 minutes before schedule. So we ended up stoning outside the building taking abstract photos and playing with water.

At 2.30pm, we entered the building, once again no photos. The whole place is a nice and comfortable working environment, and the guide is really a nice person! They even have their games room to play when things get stressful, plus they get to eat at their cafetarias for free!
For Dinner, we went to this place called Hometown Buffet. Arh, another buffet for dinner, but nevertheless, I still know how to control myself.
Dish 1: White Baked Fish, Popcorn chicken, cheese bread (or so I think it is - top right), mashed potato and potato salad.

Appetizer: Vegetable soup with added corn from the salad bar :P
Dish 2: Long beans, some vegetable, coleslaw with potato salad on it, beef slab, white baked fish and olives in the middle. Dish 3: Baked white fish, corn, sausage roll and olives.

After the buffet, we walked over to a 99-cent store to do our last shopping spree. So as usual, when it comes to shopping, I can't really control myself. So I went to get 3 gift cards again. It seems that I have more than 10 gift cards. Then we went to Albertsons supermarket. Where I happily got myself some chewing gum. Whee, lots of gum! And hershey chocolates! It's rather cheap compared to Singapore, since one big packet here is $3.49, and the currency is in our favour. Walked back with Clement and Mrs Chor to the hotel after that. I hate walking under the bridge when the sky is dark, gives the eerie feeling.

Expenditure for the day:
Books bought $15.66
Lunch Lasagna $7.95
Strawberries $1.49
Pistachio $5
99-cent store $9.24
Albertsons Supermarket $15.47
Total: $54.81


Samuel Swee

No comments: